2013 Joint Mathematics Meeting
Date: January 9-12, 2013
Location: San Diego Convention Centre, San Diego CA
The largest mathematics meeting in the world is heading back to “America’s Finest City”! The Mathematical Association of America (MAA) and the American Mathematical Society (AMS) invite you to join them at the next Joint Mathematics Meetings which will be held in beautiful San Diego, known for its mild year-round climate and its natural deep-water harbor. This will be the 96th annual winter meeting of MAA and the 119th annual meeting of AMS. The Joint Mathematics Meetings will again host sessions by the Association for Symbolic Logic, the Association for Women in Mathematics, the National Association for Mathematicians, and the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics.
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THIS MEETING
Look for a few Joint Mathematics Meetings’ mainstays such as:
- a comprehensive and rich scientific program geared toward mathematicians of all ages and levels of expertise;
- recognition of numerous mathematical achievements through Prize and Award Ceremonies;
- courses such as the MAA Short Course, the AMS Short Course, and the MAA Minicourses;
- many activities for students including the Graduate School Fair for undergraduate students;
- poster sessions for young mathematicians and undergraduate students;
- employment opportunities at the Mathematical Sciences Employment Center;
- the Mathematical Art Exhibition that includes works by artists in various media;
- the Who Wants to Be a Mathematician Competition that showcases the brilliance of ten of the nation’s best high school math students
- exhibits filled with some of the leading scientific publishers, well-known computer hardware and software manufacturers, well-known health and lifestyle companies, companies offering mathematics enrichment products, and professional organizations
and much, much more. Also Mathematics of Planet Earth 2013, an initiative launched by the mathematical science institutes in North America to showcase the essential relevance of mathematics in planetary issues, will be featured in several activities at this meeting.